"Tulips n Tea" from the #PopOfColorProject Series


Tulips, although not my favorite flower, are so gorgeous nonetheless. They come in so many different color varieties, which is why when I saw this photo posted by @anthropologie and @idreaminflowers on Instagram, I knew this had to be my next piece in the Pop of Color Project Series!


This was one of the tougher projects for me to sketch. There is so much going on between the thrown about leaves and the grain of the wooden panels. I kind of just went for it which is why my version does have it's obvious differences from the original...something that makes me love it even more.


As you can see, I sketched it all in ink...YIKES! Yes, I got ballsy and skipped the pencil phase. Sometimes you just want to dive right in, you know? So I started with the teacup as that is really the focal point of this illustration. I then spaced out the tulip heads based on where the teacup was in the image and from there, everything else just fell into place. I left blank spots where the foliage was going to go and added this in last to fill up the empty spaces. Once I was done with the ink, it looked like this...


To be honest, I almost liked this version SO much, I was hesitant about adding color! I scanned the black and white version just in case I wanted to keep prints of it black and white for later on. But, once I found that perfect orange-pink color combo, I was very happy with how my tulips and tea turned out with color! 

 

Thanks for stopping by! "Tulips n Tea" prints can be found here or in my Etsy shop!

Comments

Popular Posts