Winter Florals


I will be the first person to admit that I despise winter more than anything! The snow, the cold, the seasonal depression, BLEH. I am a summer girl through and through. But, there is one thing that gets me through those long winter months...winter florals!

I see friends get married in the winter and I envy the cool emerald greens of evergreen sprigs, the bright red of holly berries, and the pops of color against a snowy background. That's why a photo like this one...

...gave me alllllllll the feels. This picture perfectly sums up the winter colors that I love dearly. If only I could admire them from a balmy summer home...

I saw this photo on my boyfriend's aunt's Instagram and knew I just had to paint it! Anyone who has read my prior blog posts knows how obsessively in love I am with my new Arteza Real Brush Pens, which are ALWAYS on sale by the way. The pigmentation in these brush pens is amazing so I knew they would capture the berry red and cool greens in this scene.

You might be surprised to read that I started this painting with just the berries. I placed them sporadically around the paper just as they are in the arrangement. From there, I added in the pine combs which were oh so fun to paint! Then the leaves, the twigs, the vase, and finally the brick wall around it all! 


Then, I had my finished product! This may be one of my favorite paintings to date!

Comments

Popular Posts