"Giraffe Love" from the #PopOfColorProject Series


One of my favorite things about giraffes is the different spots they all carry, both in color and shape. So far in the Pop of Color Project Series, I have done a building with a vintage car in front of it, grapefruits and pomegranates, and a colorful umbrella on the Brooklyn bridge. All of those objects are definite shapes but getting into animals and people means detailing real, living things. For me, that has always been an extremely hard thing to do.

Over time, I've come into my own as an artist and after a LOT of experimentation with mediums, subjects, brushes, pens, you name it, I have finally found my niche. I now consider myself a watercolor and ink artist. I've discovered that I LOVE drawing and sketching in ink instead of pencil. The solid lines looks so clean and even though it is completely permanent, something about being able to make a mess in ink look like perfection amazes me. I may not draw a straight line but layer a few more wobbly lines on top of it, it looks intentional.



Because of this new discovery, I've become much more comfortable sketching animals which makes me the happiest person on the planet because I am OBSESSED with elephants and I've wanted nothing more than to be able to do an elephant piece. However, elephants don't have a single pop of color in them...haha! So a giraffe was something adorable that also included fun pops of color.


I hope you've enjoyed the next piece in my #PopOfColorProject Series! Thanks for reading and you can shop prints in my Etsy shop.

Comments

Popular Posts