Custom Home Paintings


A fun type of project that I've recently gotten into and absolutely love doing are painting custom homes for people! I began doing this for my parents when they moved into their new dream home in Spring Lake, NJ (pictured above).

I would love to break into that industry more and I have gotten a couple of orders since then! I ask my customers to send me a clear photo of a straight-on view of the house they'd like done. If it is not straight on, I won't be able to sketch the facade. Once I have that, I get to sketching!



It takes me a decent amount of time to sketch it out and get the design to match so when I am done, that means I feel it perfectly matches the exterior! Then, I move onto my ink sketch. I use my Sakura Pigma Micron Ink Pens (.45mm) because they are waterPROOF. This is so important when working with watercolors because if you use a marker that will run or bleed when exposed to markers, you'll have a mess on your hands! Sharpies work also but I have yet to find a Sharpie that is the size and/or feel that works for me. They are really just for recreational use in my mind.




Now, it's time to paint! I create a few swatches of color combinations and let them dry before I begin to make sure I'm really matching the colors of the house accurately. The ink sketch goes from this...


...to this!


Below, I've shared some other custom homes I've done so far. Any that I complete in the future, I will share as a separate post!




You can purchase a custom painting of your home by clicking here or by heading over to my Etsy shop and searching "Custom Home Watercolor Painting"!

Comments

Popular Posts